Monday, May 4, 2009

Here's to Terri...

My 70 year old neighbor passed away yesterday. It's odd. I believe she had a heart attack several hours before she was found by her grandson. It's a sad thing because she left a couple of children and a grandchild or two and they'll probably miss her. I really don't feel sad-I just feel sort of happy for her. Of course I'm sorry for those few she left behind, that's always hard no matter who you are.

I've been thinking a lot about it because what I think is so sad is how she lived her life. She was probably one of the most miserable people in the world! She joined the church several years ago and has wanted nothing to do with it or the people for a while now. I know that there were some issues with people that kept her away but she just didn't understand enough about it. She blamed all of her problems on other things and people. She spent her life watching after her son. Most of us would do that but her son is nearly 50, in and out of jail, constantly being evicted, selling and posessing, and a very mean drunk. In the last few years she had taken to drinking heavily and she's a pretty mean drunk, too. Due to some unfortunate incidences in the neighborhood, we took out an order of protection against her [temper] and her son.

The thing is, I know she wasn't happy at all. I had felt lately that it was time to bury the hatchet and I had planned too. She had a birthday in February and I was going to pay her a visit. But the day before, some law enforcement stopped by my house looking for her and I got scared so I didn't go. Perhaps that was a missed opportunity?? Maybe she was nice afterall...

So I've been thinking about this and as a tribute to her, I decided that I would never be like her. I think, looking back on her life, that she'd agree that it is a fitting tribute. She died with nothing but misery, the way she lived. She had very little family and I doubt she had many friends. Who will come to her funeral? Will there even be a funeral? What will happen to her house and possessions since she was so alone? I want to live my life to make other people happy, I don't want to ever be alone and have to blame my sad times on others. I hope that those whom she did leave behind will be at peace knowing that she has another chance to fix those things she did in this life.

So-here's to Terri. I hope she can forgive me for not being a better neighbor. And I hope that now, she knows who she is.

3 comments:

  1. Here's to Terri! Maybe she left you guys in her will....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uhhh...that would be a big negatory! (Is that a word?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Misti, that was a nice tribute to your neighbor. You have cute pictures on here of your boys. Hope to see more!
    -Michelle Boyd

    ReplyDelete